Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Q3 I2 Project Benchmark (2015-2016)

Hello again, Mr. Musallam, or I2 scholar looking for a project to write about!
(And by the way, this project is awesome...so write about it! Jk no pressure...)
[Also, if you aren't Mr. Musallam and are just a teacher reading this because...or are not an I2 scholar...then I'm glad your here. Just note that just because my greeting didn't necessarily include you, it doesn't mean to exclude you from this post.]

AND BE WARNED...THIS POST LOOKS LONG BUT YOU ONLY HAVE TO READ THIS FIRST BIT. THE REST IS JUST BECAUSE...


As usual, these first two paragraphs are a quick summary, for you people who don't have time to read, and then I'll go more in depth afterwards so you can get all the details (if you really need them).

So in case it wasn't already obvious by the insane amount of useless updates on this blog, my I2 project, Swipe & Shoot, has been making tremendous progress over this quarter. As a quick refresher/introduction, Swipe & Shoot is a mobile game I've been designing with a friend almost completely from scratch (though using an awesome game engine called Unity3D), where you swipe to launch your character and tap to shoot anything in your path as you battle through an epic campaign. There are also tons of cool weapons, and endless zones for endless training/fun. Check out more information here if you are still confused. You can even play it if you want. We've surpassed most of the goals I set last quarter, and are still ahead of schedule despite...conflicts...which you can read about below!
Anyways, we've successfully multiplied the number of levels by over 10 (which to be honest, isn't all that impressive considering that we had literally one level when I wrote my Q2 I2 Benchmark), added three awesome vehicles, added a level select screen, more than doubled the number of weapons, added costumes, and most amazing of all, we got people to actually beta test our game! And we didn't even have to pay them! At one point, we had over a dozen testers! If you're curious as to why we don't have as many testers anymore, I'll get to that below. But since these paragraphs are getting a bit long for a summary, I'll wrap it up by saying that this project has been a huge success so far, and I really hope to release this game to the app store, as bug-free and optimized as possible, by the end of the school year.

But for those who want more...information, here is an even longer section that should have all the information you need.

First of all, I have no major changes that I feel need to be made to this project. We were WAY ahead of schedule for a while, but now after about a month of...relaxing...we're ready to get back at it and finally finish this game. In case you forgot, or are too lazy to find my Q2 Benchmark (which you'll have to find amidst over 20 Swipe & Shoot updates), I planned to have found beta testers and essentially finished the game by March (which is this month). Which I did. We had several beta testers who provided awesome feedback during the crucial early stages, and we are just now completing the final levels to the game (as of this version, as we hope to release a few additional levels per request of our awesome beta testers in the future).

But for this version, we will have three level areas (Nature, City, Desert), each with 5 campaign levels, 1 endless zone, and 2 costumes. We also hope to add about 3-5 new weapons to this update (making about a dozen levels total), as well as a couple new vehicles (which makes about 4-5 total vehicles). 

So for the rest of March and the rest of the year, our plan is as follows:
March:
Finish the final stages of the game, revive the hype
April:
Fix bugs, figure out how to publish game
May:
Present the final product, make it available for all!
Also if you didn't notice...it's almost exactly the same as I had before.

Moving on, I'm sure many of you want to see some proof of our progress. Well if you do, the first thing I'll say is that I have over 20 updates documenting our changes to the game as they happened (did I not already mention that?), so you can feel free to check those out at your leisure. They have pictures, videos, and summaries of the changes we've made over the weeks. If you want, you can also go here to see a full playlist of our videos on Swipe & Shoot. It even includes a full playthrough of a very recent version.

And if you want some pictures, well check here for some photos from previous versions, or check here out to see the game as it looks now. Here are a few highlights:

And like last time, if you like mobile games, check out Sawyer Dobson's project ('19) at 19sdobson.blogspot.com, who is also making mobile games, but without all this fancy 3D physics engine stuff! I've seen some of his games, and they're pretty good, especially when considering that he started coding this year (or so he says...). In some ways, his project is more impressive than mine, so go check it out! Though Sawyer, if you happen to be reading this, I'd suggest trying to make a game of your own if you have the time, because it's always fun to put your newly acquired skills to the test in an original idea. But again, only if you have time. You are only planning to learn this year.

Or, if you want a project with a physical final product (well, sort of...), check out Adam Mar's project ('18) at 18atmar.blogspot.com, where he's creating a prototype for a 3D hologram! It's awesome to see "science fiction" become real, and let's be honest, holograms are awesome (as he himself has stated). Who wouldn't want a 3D hologram of Swipe & Shoot to play? But seriously, check it out, it's no joke. And it probably won't be playing Swipe & Shoot anytime soon, but that day will come. Maybe. I really don't have any suggestions for his project, but perhaps he could mess around with his prototype to see what random effects he might end up with. From experience, mistakes lead to awesomeness. Sometimes.

But if you somehow aren't interested in either of those, then try Canavan Neeson's project ('17) at 17cneeson.blogspot.com. He's creating a course on cryptology, which has always been an interesting subject for me. As someone who always likes to hide message in games, messages, or even blog posts (don't look, there's nothing here), seeing someone who is interested enough to create a course on the subject is, well, exciting. My only suggestion would be to spread the word EVEN MORE. For me, simply asking people if they wanted to test my game was good enough, but for a full course, it may take a little more than that. I have no doubt that there are plenty of people who are interested enough to test it out and give feedback (and I'm sure that he's already found those people, it's just that at the time of writing this post, he hasn't mentioned anything yet).

And if you've scrolled down this far, your probably curious as to what "conflicts" I mentioned earlier in my project. Well, it wasn't just the Seussical rehearsals. And it wasn't just my friend breaking his computer (which had the most recent version of the project on it). It was this awesome game I released called Block Bomb Survival 2, which, as you might guess, is the sequel to one of my old games from last year (called Block Bomb Survival). It's a really fun game, and although it may not be visually impressive, the gameplay is pretty fun (in my opinion), and it can be a fun way to spend your time (if you have any).

Basically, you dodge bombs that rain from the sky, as they blow up the terrain. Winning is simple, just reach the bottom (100 layers down). But just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy, people have had to play for hours before they were able to beat the core game. But that's not all. There are dozens of gamemodes, and if you can get all the stars, excluding the ??? modes (which means getting 100 on every gamemode), you can win a grand prize! Now I am aware that only you and a handful of others will ever read this, so you can take that opportunity to either keep this competition to yourself, or to spread the word and the fun for me!

Oh, and if you want to play or find out more information, check here.
I also posted about this "competition" earlier, so check it out!
OR just download it using these links

And last thing, I am aware that this "directly-to-the-reader, first-person" style of writing is kind of weird and annoying. But it's just how I write when I don't have a rough draft or a specific set of guidelines for writing. So don't judge!

No comments:

Post a Comment