Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Last Summer

So I think I was supposed to post last week but this summer has been...busy. I got a pretty sweet internship this summer where I got to develop new features for an actual iPhone game, which was awesome (technically it's still going which is why this post is at like 1am). And, during the first two months of summer, I took a summer biology class, which was...slightly less awesome.

I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't really had any time this summer to make progress on anything.

So why post? Well besides the fact that this seems to be one of the last few surviving i2 blogs and we need some representation, it would probably also be helpful to give a general outline for what we hope to accomplish over the next year, and what's happening to all of our old projects. Again, since we haven't actually had a chance to make anything new, there won't be any screenshots.

Spation/Project 17:
As we've said before, we had to cancel this project for a number of reasons. For one, it wasn't a concept that we felt we could go very far with, and even though the universe generation was incredible, it still wasn't enough to make a very fun game. I might post a demo of the game if I ever fix up some of the more game-breaking bugs, but I wouldn't expect anything from this going forwards. For now, like last time, here's a link to the song I wrote for the game, which is one of my personal favorites:
UrVolumeIsOn

Fish Tank:
I do plan to continue working on my big solo project from last year, even though it wasn't super exciting at the time. I'll be honest, this one is probably going to be the slowest of the projects listed here just due to the kind of work it requires, since the core focus of this game (besides being a solo project) is the story, music, and art. Basically, I'm trying to do all the stuff I normally don't put a lot of effort into, even though I've always wanted to. Here are a couple demos of some of the songs I wrote for the game:
Fish Tank Songs

Imperium:
This one isn't really my project, but since no one really seems to know much about it I figured that it would be worth mentioning here anyways. I'll be helping Sawyer work on his impossibly massive project, even though we all know that we're not going to finish. And yeah I probably shouldn't be saying that, but the important thing is that this is a game we've spent a lot of time designing. It's a nice learning experience for everyone, even if we are destined for failure.

Flickships:
Jack is at it again with a new game idea! Once I find him I'll make him add a couple demonstration videos here, but for now just know that we still have some original content coming soon. Hopefully. Although knowing Jack we might not get to see this one either...

Remastered Games:
Something else that I've always wanted to do is remaster/finish some of my older games. While Swipe & Shoot might be a bit extreme to fix up, website classics like Multiplayer Madness, Block Bomb Survival, and Asteroid Escape are all definitely easy enough to polish. Block Bomb Survival may even get an App Store release, but we'll just have to see how much time I have.

Anyways that's about all I can think of right now, and while we may also come up with new game ideas, I kinda doubt we'll actually get to implementing any of them considering that we'll have so little time and so many unfinished projects.

In terms of 3D games, since it is a little hard to tell from what I outlined above, we'll probably stay away from those unless we have a really solid game idea. Jack has nearly perfected his 3D artwork skills, but he and I both know that making a fully 3D game requires a lot of extra effort that might not be worth it depending on the concept.

Welp that's about it for now. I'm really looking forward to this year, but I also know that I won't have nearly as much free time as I did last year so again I doubt that we'll make that much progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment